Enhatch partnered with 3D Systems to offer Enhatch's comprehensive preoperative planning solution for a leading US-based medical device manufacturer. 3D System's client specializes in patient-specific ankle surgery solutions. 3D Systems was managing the design and 3D printing aspects of the patient-specific process. There was a need for a software solution where all stakeholders could quickly and efficiently collaborate during the preoperative planning process.
3D Systems used Enhatch's preoperative planning software to manage their client's patient-specific product offering easily. With Enhatch's portal, 3D Systems and their client:
- Had a single, compliant, and contained environment for all key stakeholders to collaborate.
- Could define customized role requirements, responsibilities, and access.
- Easily tracked progress and approvals on each case.
- Managed case logistics and purchase orders in one place.
About the Customer
3D Systems is one of the leading providers of additive manufacturing solutions worldwide. They have manufactured 2M+ medical devices and have delivered 150K+ patient-specific cases and devices. They have a track record of success in helping medical device manufacturers and healthcare providers accelerate innovation and transform healthcare.
3D System's client was a leading medical technology company in the United States. They are listed on the New York Stock Exchange and are known for their ability to deliver innovative healthcare solutions.
" Enhatch makes it so so easy for us to upload patient scans, assign teams and surgeons to cases and get approvals. No installations, no integrations and so we can get started immediately. Our surgeons, reps and engineers love that they can use their laptops or tablets to review cases and leadership gets to monitor all progress using the dashboard."
Taylor Broaddus, Case Management Supervisor
3D Systems was looking for a preoperative planning solution for their client that could achieve all of the below objectives:
Unified solution with controlled access for all key stakeholders
Patient-specific solutions demand collaboration among various stakeholders (surgeon, engineer, hospital administrators, sales rep, etc). The client sought a unified solution for seamless collaboration.
For example, surgeons had to review 3D visualizations of the patient's ankle joint, while other stakeholders (hospital administrators, engineers, sales reps) had their own responsibilities. Access control with role-based permissions was necessary.
Faster identification of data issues on 3D scans
The client’s current process involved patients first undergoing a scan, which is then sent to 3D Systems physically or through the cloud. The 3D systems team next reviewed the scan, requesting a new scan if data issues arise. 3D Systems and their client were looking to expedite the process and detect data issues sooner.
Complete visibility into preoperative planning process
3D System's client sought complete visibility and transparency into every process step. They wanted to be able to track all cases, approvals and progress.
Improve the efficiency of the preoperative planning process
Overall, 3D System’s client was looking to improve the efficiency of the entire preoperative planning process to get product into the surgeon's hands faster.
The Enhatch Solution
As a first step, we talked to 3D Systems and their client to understand their requirements in detail.
AI-driven preoperative planning solution demo
We demonstrated our cutting-edge preoperative planning solution that:
- Offers a secure digital environment to facilitate preoperative planning.
- Enables easy visualization of medical imaging data.
- Allows for efficient data transfer with data protocol verification upon upload.
- Customizes workflows as per client's need.
- Has 21 CFR part 11 compliant approval of assets (reports, 3D proposals etc.).
- Creates custom role-based access to different workflow steps.
- Leverages AI to increase efficiency.
Identified opportunities for increased efficiency
Enhatch identified several opportunities for increasing efficiency in the preoperative planning process.
Swiftly implemented and trained key stakeholders
The Enhatch team swiftly implemented the preoperative planning solution on time, ensuring seamless integration, and conducted comprehensive training for all key stakeholders.
With Enhatch’s solution, 3D System’s client was able to:
Launch the patient-specific ankle solution seamlessly
The patient-specific ankle solution launched seamlessly. The portal’s ability to easily customize workflows as per the client’s process ensured quick implementation.
Effortlessly manage preoperative planning with multiple stakeholders
Enhatch’s preoperative planning solution created increased transparency for all stakeholders (surgeon, engineer, sales rep, etc.) All aspects of preoperative planning were accessible in one place.
- The surgeon or sales rep can initiate a new case and provide all relevant details (for example, surgery date, patient info, case info, etc.).
- The clinical team can view data and understand if the medical imaging data is acceptable for preoperative planning.
- Relevant reports can be viewed, reviewed, and approved easily.
- Full transparency w.r.t shipping and tracking of PSI devices.
- Purchase orders and case logistics - all managed in one place.
Enhance communication during preoperative planning
Enhatch’s portal facilitated better communication during the preoperative planning process. Some examples of this include:
- Portal prompting surgeons w.r.t time slot availability for preoperative planning.
- Automated alerts for stakeholders (e.g., surgeons) when reports are ready for review.
Increase efficiency through AI-driven preoperative planning
With Enhatch’s AI-driven preoperative planning solution, there were several opportunities for driving efficiency. This could reduce the lead time for delivering patient-specific solutions to customers. Some examples of this are:
- Swiftly identifies any data issues after scan upload.
- Ability to rapidly present 3D models.
- Accelerates segmentation with semi-automatic detection of bony landmarks and implant placement.
Ensure access control with 21 CFR Part 11 compliant portal
With Enhatch’s portal, 3D System’s client could:
- Easily ensure authorization and access control.
- Approve digital signatures.
- Set role-based permissions and access.
Improve logistics and shipment process
By easily integrating with the client’s ERP, the entire process from purchase order creation to shipment tracking was streamlined.